Friday 1 May 2015

Connecting Essay 5

My photograph:



This photo is from my Ageing - Decay shoot, when I visited Leigh-on-sea and took photos of the rust and mould forming on different boats and surfaces. I decided to shoot ageing from a different perspective and was influenced by one of my photographers to shoot decaying/weathering objects etc. I like this image a lot because the two boats are literally stranded in the centre of the image, with barely anything around them. The boats are the main focus because of the decay forming on them, but also, the ground around the boats portray ageing as it hasn't been looked after properly, and is therefore muddy and disgusting - the remains of what used to be the bottom surface of the sea. I think this photo could have many different meanings and i also like that there is very minimal colour, which also portrays the atmosphere of ageing, decay and weathering. 

Picture I have found:



This is a photo i found on the internet. In this image, there are two bumper cars left stranded, along with others in the background. There isn't much else in the image apart from trees and plants. I like this image because the two bumper cars are close to the camera, and we can see the detail of them, including the broken parts and decay. This place has obviously been left, and never cared for since as everything is just dumped in odd places, and the grass/plants are overgrown. Even some of the floor tiles are broken beside the closest bumper car. I chose this photo because it displays abandonment, and what happens after time passes, like ageing and growing up.

The connection:


These two photos are similar because they both portray abandonment, decay, weathering and ageing. Also, in both photos there are two objects in each that stand out, the two boats in my photo, and the two bumper cars in the picture i found. I like that these two photos have been taken in completely different places, of completely different things but still connect as they both show the same message. In both images we can see that no one has cared for the places, and so, the boats/bumper cars are left to decay and rot away. The concept of my own image was to display a new perspective of ageing, which i also think the picture i found displays too because as time passes, these objects have gotten older, they've decayed and are slowly weathering away.

No comments:

Post a Comment