Monday 6 April 2015

Photographer Research - Laura Williams

Laura Williams 

Once I decided I wanted to shoot photographs of distorted reflections and distortion as a whole, I realised that I didn't have a photographer which related to that topic. Therefore, I did some more research and added Laura Williams to my Research Log. Laura Williams is a student studying Graphic Design, but is an aspiring Graphic Designer/Photography. After finding, and exploring her website I was really inspired by her work and enjoyed the complexity of her images. Williams has done a lot of work for clients, such as families, and has also done an entire self-portrait shoot. Most of her work is unique and abnormal, for instance: she has created an image of herself sitting on the ceiling. Her editing techniques are extremely complex, which is what makes her photography so interesting.


This is from one of her Client shoots, which was a family photoshoot. I chose to feature this image because it relates to my topic of 'distortion' as the models, chairs and table are all floating in the air. I also like that Williams mostly shoots in Location, outside in the woods, as it gives her photos an interesting but simple background to work against. I like that the real photo Williams' shot must have been so ordinary, yet with her editing skills she has been able to make the image extraordinary and different. 


This image is one of the many that influenced my own shoot of distortion and my exam topic. I like the concept of the image. Here, Williams asked the model to hold up a mirror, and then she has edited out the reflection, and replaced it with the background so that it looks as though half the model's body is missing. I really enjoy this image.


Again, this photo shows off Williams' impressive editing skills. This image relates to distortion because Williams has made herself so small, in order to fit herself into he glass jar with the tiny tree. I like this a lot because not everything in the image is noticeable, until you look the second and third time. I also like that the image is so simple yet complex and interesting. 


This is one of my favourite images from Williams' work because for one, i like the idea of making herself as big as a camera. Also, i like that she has produced the image in black and white, as it creates a different, mysterious atmosphere and makes this image unique to her other photos in colour. This photograph has influenced my work as i would like to shoot 'optical illusion' images. 

Laura Williams has really inspired my distortion photography as her work is so interesting and exciting. I also like that some of her images such as the missing reflection in the mirror photo, has influenced my own ideas for my work. In her other work, Laura uses masks and other objects to make her photographs more interesting and enable them to tell a story, and these images have influenced me to use different objects and props for my shoots, in order to create different 'stories' with them. 


This is one of my shots from my second exam shoot, which was inspired by Laura Williams work. In this photo, I have positioned my model and a wine bottle far apart, so it looks as though the wine bottle is bigger. This is an optical illusion, and Laura Williams' photo of herself reading next to a tree in a jar. I like this photo a lot because the main focus is the wine bottle, but after a while you notice the model in the background. 


This is another exam piece which was influenced by Williams' missing reflection photographs. In this photo, i have used a model and asked her to hold a mirror in front of her. I then edited the image so that the reflection in the mirror was gone, and replaced it with the background - which is grass. I like this image a lot because it looks as though we are looking straight through her body, just as Williams' has done with her shots.

In summary, I really enjoy Laura Williams' work and I am glad that I did some further research into distortion photographers. Her work is extremely complex and interesting, particularly her editing skills and it has influenced my own work to use objects and different editing techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment