Sunday 1 March 2015

Illustrated Discussion

Evidence

Evidence is a very broad topic and can be interpreted in various ways. I for one, have chosen to start this topic with the idea "Evidence of Human Presence". This concept will allow me to take photographs of litter, individual's desktops, belongings etc. I would also like to venture into the idea of "Personal Possessions".

However, I could approach the topic from a naturalistic point of view, which would allow me to take photographs of different weather types, i.e. Rain and Sunny. Another aim for this project could be "Crime Scenes". Every time I've attempted to research into Photography of Evidence, the internet produces crime scene and forensic science images. In order to take photos that could link to this approach, i could create fingerprints, shoe prints, vehicle tracks etc., to recreate 'evidence' that could be used during a crime. I personally, would like to photograph the Evidence of Mental Health at some point in this topic, as i have looked into a few photographers that have shot this, and I would like to use their work for influence. Like movement, which could be another approach, we cannot see Mental Illness in reality. However, once i researched into this idea, i discovered many ways in which people have shot, interpreted and and approached it.

On the other hand, Evidence can be approached in a less serious and strict plan. For instance, Evidence can be as trivial as a signature, ID, ash from a cigarette, litter, dirty plate etc. These are all proof of something that has happened. I could even approach Evidence in a comical and ironic way by using crime scene numbered signs or police tape, to signify or cover a dirty plate. This would make my photos more interesting and link two concepts of Evidence into one photo.


Internet Image


This photo on the left, demonstrates the trivial evidence that I mentioned above. This image has been made using two images, one of which is a boy with food smeared around his mouth. The other is a plate of food which matches the stain on his face. This photo shows the evidence of eating food. I like the idea of using two photos in one to create a message.


Internet Image


This photo is a black and white image of a hand, whereby we can see the prints of the model's fingertips. Initially, I thought of the idea of taking photos of finger prints already printed in ink onto paper. However, after finding this photo, I've realised I could also take images of actual fingerprints.










Weegee


Weegee (Arthur Fellig) is a photographer and photojournalist. He is known for his black and white street photography. Weegee shoots real life emergencies, showing the brutality of things that happen in the street. The photo on the left shows a man lying on the street, with blood streaming down the pathway from his head. Obviously, this isn't appealing to look at, the reason I have chosen one of Weegee's photographs is because this is evidence of crime and real-life scenarios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment